Sunday, March 31, 2013

EGGcellent Easter!


HAPPY EASTER EVERYONE! 
Hope you all had a great day at church, hunting eggs, eating some ham, or just enjoying the ones around you! Since today is synonymous with eggs, I thought I would bring you two awesome recipes that have them. Just a note: I found these recipes online and tweaked them a bit!  ENJOY!


What you'll need:
A bag of shredded hash browns (can be frozen)
half an onion
 Half a lb. of Bacon, Ham, or Both
About 1-2 eggs/person
Salt & Pepper
Parsley (optional for color/taste)
Tabasco (optional for spice)

Start off by dicing the bacon/ham & half an onion up
Put in a deep skillet and cook on medium heat until crispy
After those have cooked, drain off the juices, but keep about 1/2 cup
Now add the hash browns and start mixing it all together while still over medium heat
Let cook and get crispy for a bit
Now this is where I got creative. I noticed that my hash browns were getting kinda mushy and not crispy so I broke out the waffle iron. I spatula'd some of the mixture into the hot waffle iron and closed it. It got to the right crisp that I was looking for.
While all of this was cooking or you can do it after and just cover it too keep it warm, cook your eggs. I did mine like the recipe and did sunny side up and just slid them off the pan and on top of the hash brown mix. 
I'm from the South so of course I love some spice so I added some Tabasco sauce and a little sprinkle of cheese. 

This recipe came out so much better than I expected and I will be making this again. It's also filling enough to be another meal. Who doesn't love breakfast for dinner, YUMMY! Here's what mine looked like when I was done. (NOTE: I can't cook so if I can do it, so can you!)



 Pastel Deviled Eggs


First off I wanted to experiment with something that I saw on Pinterest earlier in the week. That was instead of boiling my eggs, I put them in a cupcake pan and cooked them in the over at 325 degrees for 25 minutes. This actually worked great and made every egg look the same as far as where the yoke settled. DRAWBACK: When I peeled the shells off the cooked eggs, I noticed some little brown burn spots on the egg. I was going to color them anyway so it wasn't that crucial.

After I had my eggs peeled and halved (hot dog style) then I put all of the yokes into a bowl for later use. I got out 4 glasses and added ice cold water and 2 tsp. of vinegar to the glass.
I then proceeded to add my drops of food coloring. I tried to play mixologist and got colors that I was intending. I honestly couldn't tell you how many drops of each color I used. I just dropped until I got a cool looking shade.  I was going for pastel colors like on the website, but got a mixture of weird and neon, but hey whatever! I took the cooked egg halves and dropped them in each color, let them sit until I reached a cool color and then pulled them out onto a paper towel. WARNING: Don't get food coloring on your counter because it can be a pain to get off! Learned the hard way. Oops!

With the yokes in a bowl, I added about 1 tbsp. of white vinegar and I eyeballed the addition of Mayo. Mixed it all up with a spoon, put the mixture into a small zip lock baggie, and cut off the corner tip of the baggie. (This is my cheating way of not using piping bags.) Squirt the mixture into the center of the cooked eggs and there ya have it! Easy Peezy! Here's what mine turned out to look like and don't make fun of the purple blue ones...lol!


In my husband's family they have always added a little bit of caviar to the top for garnish. I inherited this taste and it gives it a little kick of salt. (In this case, I accidentally put more on than originally anticipated...again...chef of the year. LOL) No laughing!



And I couldn't do a blog without putting pics up of my adorable son's first Easter!! LOVE HIM!
HAPPY EASTER 2013 EVERYONE! Matthew 28:5-6



post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment